I have made my own addition to this soulful North Indian (Punjabi cuisine) recipe and tastes super. Hope you like it too.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Preparation time: approx. 5 mins
1 cup black gram lentils (kali daal, soak overnight)
1 cup red kidney beans (rajma, soak overnight)
1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste (make it fresh, it gives a better flavor)
1 pureed tomato
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
2 bay leaves
½ inch cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion chopped
½ teaspoon readymade tomato paste
2 teaspoons ground 7spice powder (garam masala)
Pinch of Tumeric powder
½ teaspoon yoghurt
½ teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
Few coriander leaves to garnish
Oil or ghee
Salt to taste
Boil black gram lentils and red kidney beans with water in a pressure cooker, give 6 to 7 whistles and keep aside (using pressure cooker saves time and gas too).
- Take a pan, heat ghee and add cumin seeds. Now add whole spices (clove, cinnamon stick and bay leaves) stir well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Add tomato puree and tomato paste and saute for 2 mins till it mixes well.
- Now add all the spices (turmeric, coriander powder, 7spice powder, red chilli, cumin powder, and salt. Cook well until oil leaves the pan.
- Now add cooked lentils, red kidney beans, yoghurt and kasoori methi . Cook for another 5 to 7 mins.
- Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves.
Enjoy!!! Serve it with jira rice or hot roti.